Update Progress

Twisted

On 4/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, CrashBash said:

Good job Twisted.
I hope that you are still working on implementing better mouse control and responsiveness.

That's high on the agenda but getting REPL4Y running as stable as possible will come first.

Update on what I've been working on since last post

- Lots of interface fixes and adjustments (register screen, internet connect etc...)

- Implementing and testing remote connection (Checking PS4 status remotely now routes request through server to avoid client side port forwarding issues)

- Implemented '0 Copy mode' for all decoders (DXVA, D3D11, Nvidia Cuda) when using DirectX (default setting). Also added OpenGL mode as alternative for users that do not meet GPU requirements for DirectX mode, 0 Copy only available on Nvidia Cuda when in OpenGL mode. 

- Bug fixes in bandwidth tests

- Refactored main loop for input system to reduce occasional GUI latency and ensure more consistent 10ms input timing

it's a BIT more complicated than that.

That so called "DualStack Lite" or "Carrier-Grade NAT" Bullshit means I use an ip of the provider to go into the internet, but I cant do portforwarding etc, because even the router doesnt have the IP but sits behind it.

to compare it to remote controlling a computer
that basically means if a device maintains connection to an outside server I can get in via that lane (similar to for example teamviewer) but I cant get in by myself (for example VNC or RDP), because that would need portforwarding.

I can help with IPv6 testing though.

50 minutes ago, My1 said:

it's a BIT more complicated than that.

That so called "DualStack Lite" or "Carrier-Grade NAT" Bullshit means I use an ip of the provider to go into the internet, but I cant do portforwarding etc, because even the router doesnt have the IP but sits behind it.

to compare it to remote controlling a computer
that basically means if a device maintains connection to an outside server I can get in via that lane (similar to for example teamviewer) but I cant get in by myself (for example VNC or RDP), because that would need portforwarding.

I can help with IPv6 testing though.

I'm not very familiar with DualStack Lite (I don't think it's used at all at a consumer level in the UK) but it sounds like using IPv6 isn't going to make a difference if you can't use port forwarding, REPL4Y requires several ports be forwarded to allow a remote connection.

actually, there is a BIG difference.

IPv4 needs port forwarding because of how NAT works (1 IP for the whole network and the router Translates between the public IPv4 and the local IPv4s inside the network.)

in IPv6 each Device has its own public IP (or even multiple of them), and therefore no "port forwarding" is needed, just a hole in all the firewalls the device is sitting behind (mainly the router), and I am totally able to do that.

Compare it with a ps4 sitting directly behind a modem without a router but just a firewall. 

DualStack Lite basically means, you dont get your "own" IPv4, but you have a full public IPv6 subnet.

Normal Dualstack means, you have BOTH an IPv4 to use completely AND an IPv6 subnet.

Ok so from what I can tell the PS4 doesn't support IPv6 so I assume in this case the PS4 would have a local IPv4, your modem/router would still need port forwarding configured to translate a external IPv6 request (To the modem/routers IPv6 address??) to the local PS4. 

2 hours ago, Twisted said:

Ok so from what I can tell the PS4 doesn't support IPv6

wait what? Is this some joke? IPv6 exists since half an eternity, IPv4 exhaustion isn't a new thing, and the PS4 is far from old.

this is totally crazy, why isnt sony doing anything, it's not like DS-Lite is something totally new.

I have read articles from 2011 WAY before the PS4 even came out. This is crazy.

• 1 month later...
Guest tharealsnx
On 4/19/2018 at 5:10 PM, My1 said:

this is totally crazy, why isnt sony doing anything, it's not like DS-Lite is something totally new.

I have read articles from 2011 WAY before the PS4 even came out. This is crazy.

But why should they 😋. Dualstacklite is nothing more than you share your ipv4 adress with other people.

Maybe they'll add the ipv6 support in the ps5.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:58 PM, tharealsnx said:

But why should they 😋. Dualstacklite is nothing more than you share your ipv4 adress with other people.

Maybe they'll add the ipv6 support in the ps5.

Maybe because of the p2p nature of their online gaming? 

Somebody needs an incoming ip to be the host. If everyone is on carrier-nat nobody can really be the host. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for the latest progress update! 

Most of my time since the last update has been working on updating and improving the input system. It's now a lot less 'clunky', allows for more complex mapping and has live mouse configuration. Macros/scripting isn't quite in yet (as you can see in the screenshots) but it's planned for those of you that are interested in automating input. 

Profiles now contain multiple 'configs' (configurations), this allows for separate hip fire/ADS settings and supports hotkey switching between them. You can also set a timeout which will allow you to automatically switch back from the triggered profile after a set amount of milliseconds for easy on-the-fly switching. 

Mappings are now split into button, axis and touchpad as seen below, a feature requested by several users in the past has also been added - left stick mouse mapping! Well, really you can map it to anything you like now, it's no longer limited to just the right stick!

In order to aid mouse calibration you can use the 'in-game' configuration tool available whilst in the remote play client, you can easily calibrate the mouse to each game without having to jump back and forth to the controller settings. 

The input system is one of the last features pending completion for an initial release, the core Remote Play framework is mostly complete at this point and will only require testing once moving into private/public Beta. 

That's more or less it for the moment, I know lots of people are interested in macros so the next planned update will be further details on that. 

Button Mappings

iOD5BtA.png

Axis Mappings

2qauaRx.png

Mouse Calibration

OF8bqJX.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mentobi

Fantastic! Will I be able to map the left stick to the mouse instead of the right stick exclusively? 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sawyer007

Will this work better then the official remote play app which has bad frame drops and about 6 frames or 100ms delay even on the same network? Considering that it will still use the same AMD encoder not having high hopes.

Because I'm already considering to buy an elgato HD pro capture card and use it with parsec. 1-3 frames delay and whatever parsec adds.

1 hour ago, Sawyer007 said:

Will this work better then the official remote play app which has bad frame drops and about 6 frames or 100ms delay even on the same network? Considering that it will still use the same AMD encoder not having high hopes.

Because I'm already considering to buy an elgato HD pro capture card and use it with parsec. 1-3 frames delay and whatever parsec adds.

You clearly have network issues, software can't magically fix that.

I assume you're using WiFi? Are you using 2.4Ghz? Have you checked for other WiFi in the area and change your WiFi channel to avoid them? 5Ghz is always recommended for Remote Play due to the high network usage and latency sensitivity. 

Guest Sawyer007

I have no network issues at all. Try the PES19 demo or even Fifa and tell me if that is smooth encoding.

I'm always hard wired.  But I may expect to much once you try parsec its hard to accept anything less. It has only 1 frame delay on Nvidia encoders.

Guest Sawyer007

this are easy games to see the frame drop when a fast ball flys over and the whole pitch or camera shifts. Less noticeable with other games.

10 minutes ago, Sawyer007 said:

this are easy games to see the frame drop when a fast ball flys over and the whole pitch or camera shifts. Less noticeable with other games.

OK, but again, what does that have to do with you dropping frames and latency on Remote Play? 

The only reason you would drop frames or have a high latency is either you don't meet the required specifications and your pc can't keep up with the network streaming and processing or you have a network issue like interference or poor hardware that can't handle the data throughput. 

1 minute ago, Twisted said:

OK, but again, what does that have to do with you dropping frames and latency on Remote Play? 

The only reason you would drop frames or have a high latency is either you don't meet the required specifications and your pc can't keep up with the network streaming and processing or you have a network issue like interference or poor hardware that can't handle the data throughput. 

precisely. I never had any issues on RP with my PS4 aside from bugs back then in the early stage but well, that's why it's the early Stage.