Update Progress

Twisted

A lot of you are asking how the next update is progressing so I decided to create a thread everyone can follow and see what has been completed and whats left to do.

Whats completed:

• Implemented hardware decoding (still a few bugs to fix here but it works) 
  • Multiple PS4 account support
  • Importing/exporting of PS4 accounts
  • Multiple PS4 management (for when there are multiple PS4's on the same network)
  • Log in system - No more serial Keys, you can log into the app using your forum details to unlock premium features

Whats left

• Input system - I'm looking to improve mouse support which has required a total rewrite from scratch of the input system. Previously Lilypad (a 3rd party plugin) was used which besides having a massive code base introduced a lot of annoying limitations when trying to modify it to work with Remote Play. Starting from scratch is taking longer that initially expected but will help with Remote Play specific customisation ie. Touchpad input emulation. Below is an early look as the system, it's not complete and is subject to change but is massive upgrade over Lilypad with a user friendly interface for customising Remote Play specific controls.

7iTVkRC.png

• Multiple players - related to the new input system, I'm looking to add multiple player support. I'll attempt to implement this once the input system is fully functioning. 
  • Input profiles - This is to support multiple input profiles and allow easy switching between them whilst running remote play. Depending on time this may not make it into the next update as it's not critical and will be added shortly after.
  • Routed connection requests - currently port UDP 986 is required when connecting remotely, this is to allow the PS4 search request to receive a response. A lot of environments don't allow port forwarding such as work so I'll be adding a routing system to proxy PS4 connection requests and remove the requirement for manual port forwarding on remote PC's. I have a working prototype, it just needs to be tested and setup for the live environment. 
  • Interface revamp - this is an ongoing area, as seen in the preview videos the app has undergone a total UI overhaul. Once all the features above are done some finishing touches will be required to polish it off (splash screens, animations etc..). 

Progress Update 10/02/17

As seen in the Gif below the mouse now has separate settings for hip fire and ADS (aiming down sights). In short, this allows you to assign a button to switch to secondary mouse settings - normally used when aiming down the scope in first person shooters. 

Feedback was also taken on board from your comments and the current state of the controller is displayed directly on the image with highlighted buttons and realtime movement of the analog sticks.

uYyrahV.gif

Progress Update 23/02/17

It took longer to implement than I hoped but multiple profile support is now in. In total the following features have been added since the last update

• Saving & loading of profiles from disk
  • Enable/disable individual player input
  • Multiple profile support
  • Import, export, create new, copy and delete profiles
  • Choice between standard input (controllers) and FPS (mouse/keyboard) input profiles. 

Profiles:

lWsy9gA.png

Profile Options:

qQNJbNs.png

Up next is adding DirectInput8 (DirectX) input backend for more device support (currently only keyboard/mouse and xinput are supported) then finish off Touchpad support.

Progress Update 28/02/17

Decided to shuffle round priorities and finished up the Touchpad interface first (Touchpad isn't implement in the remote play code yet, I'll be working on that next).

As seen below it's fairly straightforward to emulate a Touchpad press or movement. You first choose which press you want (2 simultaneous presses are supported) then either simply click to emulate a press or you can click and drag to emulate a swipe. Clicking OK you are then asked for a button to map the input to.

The time duration of the press/swipe is also configurable. 

mfJ3UOh.gif

looks epic. since you have a nice pic of a DS4 can you make it so the user can "debug his configuration by e.g. "highlighting" what is pressed and showing the "positions" of the joisticks with a small colored circle etc?

2 hours ago, My1 said:

looks epic. since you have a nice pic of a DS4 can you make it so the user can "debug his configuration by e.g. "highlighting" what is pressed and showing the "positions" of the joisticks with a small colored circle etc?

You click the buttons on the Dualshock in order to map them and the relevant binding shows on the left. I'll consider adding the highlight on press. 

Showing the stick positions might be out of scope, if you can see the mappings and you're using buttons then it can only have one position. 

The mouse has the separate configuration on the right which shows the position of the right joystick so it's easy to adjust the config and see changes in real time. 

1 minute ago, Twisted said:

Showing the stick positions might be out of scope, if you can see the mappings and you're using buttons then it can only have one position.

well for buttons thatÄs true but it might show nicely whether you need to recalibrate your sticks or whatever.

also for LR2 in case you have an analog inpput for that it would be nice to see how far it thinks it's pressed.

or is LR2 analog input even supported by the RP Protocol? I mean before the PC came you iirc had only phones via onscreen controls and the vita with its touchscreen/touchpad.

7 minutes ago, My1 said:

well for buttons thatÄs true but it might show nicely whether you need to recalibrate your sticks or whatever.

also for LR2 in case you have an analog inpput for that it would be nice to see how far it thinks it's pressed.

or is LR2 analog input even supported by the RP Protocol? I mean before the PC came you iirc had only phones via onscreen controls and the vita with its touchscreen/touchpad.

As of right now the protocol only uses digital triggers (act as buttons). I'll need to look through their axis code again and see if they updated it to support analog triggers along with the sticks. 

Guest Napaulm

I'm stoked to see you're planning on multiple player support. This is my biggest disadvantage of remote play. Would this mean we could play coop remotely on a different network?

4 minutes ago, Napaulm said:

I'm stoked to see you're planning on multiple player support. This is my biggest disadvantage of remote play. Would this mean we could play coop remotely on a different network?

No, that is limited to share play (for which I have no access to analyse the protocol) multiple players means you could play local split screen via remote play. 

Guest Napaulm
10 minutes ago, Twisted said:

No, that is limited to share play (for which I have no access to analyse the protocol) multiple players means you could play local split screen via remote play. 

This would be great as well. I'm looking forward to see this happening.

6 hours ago, FabE said:

Nice :)

What exactly is hardware decoding? :) 

It's where the work of converting the data to video and displaying it is offloaded to the graphics card rather than relying on the CPU which is slow. Basically it means a performance boost.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-hardware-decoding-and-software-decoding

56 minutes ago, My1 said:

I agree this looks epic. and if it is possible to switch with a small key combo between profiles (for example when I go into japanese Games I have to switch cross and circle) and it's awesome.

Already in the list 

• Input profiles - This is to support multiple input profiles and allow easy switching between them whilst running remote play. Depending on time this may not make it into the next update as it's not critical and will be added shortly after.

Sorry for my bad english

With this new program, is the feeling will be closer to a PC thant before with lilypad? Like did you find an algorithm to transfer the mouse mouvement into joysticks with less exponent and deadzone?

3 minutes ago, SynzIV said:

Sorry for my bad english

With this new program, is the feeling will be closer to a PC thant before with lilypad? Like did you find an algorithm to transfer the mouse mouvement into joysticks with less exponent and deadzone?

I'm looking to improve mouse to joystick translation.